July 8, 2017

Post #23 - Searching for people of integrity

Post #23 - July 8, 2017

And by people of integrity, I mean people that do what  they say they are going to do, people who keep their word.  There have been a lot of people who have come into  my life who don't do what they say they'll do.  Here's some recent examples:

1).  I called RT as a colleague suggested he may want some assistance with his business.  After no reply from a couple of emails that I sent him, I called and left a message.  He called back on a Monday morning.  He seemed distracted,  mentioned something about how he was just back from vacation and that he would call me either later that afternoon or the next morning.  Never heard from him.

2).  LE told 6 of us that she would contact a local non-profit, the Executive Director and the BOD, to see if we could get on the BOD agenda.  The plan was to start a speaker's bureau and coordinate speaking opportunities for CSA.  She never contacted the non-profit - said she would do this in January 2017.

3).  KL and I had plans to climb a peak last weekend (Monday, July 3rd).  KL was out of town on Sat & Sun at his parent's house as his brother, sister-in-law and niece were in town from Montana, but he said Monday would be good.  I sent him a text on Sunday afternoon asking him what peak we were climbing the next day, as we had discussed quite a few.  I didn't hear back that eve, as I went to bed early.  When I got up on Monday, he said he was staying at his parent's as his Dad wanted him to help trim some trees.

I don't know why people don't do what they say they are going to do?  I find it very frustrating, disappointing and disrespectful.   One time and I don't trust that person anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carol,
    22 years ago my best friend and mentor Julius died, but while he was alive he was the WORST person at keeping plans.
    I loved him and always looked forward to getting together for climbing, chess, and hiking, so every time he blew off our plans, it hurt.
    I think in his mind, all plans were optional, and required further confirmation. He would always end a planning conversation with “We’ll touch base the night before”, which in his mind the plan wasn’t really definite until we “touched base”.
    I could have written him off a number of times, but I didn’t.
    I've come to realize that everyone in life will disappoint you. That’s just human nature, and I'm sure I've disappointed dozens of people in my lifetime, including you.
    But then again, I'm a poor fan of the human species and kind of expect people to fuck up once and a while.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Once in awhile to fuck up is fine.....consistent fuck up behavior is not acceptable.

    ReplyDelete