October 11, 2017

Post #28 - Harvey Weinstein

Post # 28 -  October 11, 2017

Harvey Weinstein is all over the news the past few days for sexually assaulting (including rape) many women the past 30 years.  Ernie Bjorkman, on Channel 2 News this morning, asked another anchor why it took so long for these women to come forward.  I'm always amazed by that question.  And actually, it shows how ignorant he is (he, being Ernie Bjorkman).  It is EXTREMELY difficult to accuse someone of sexual assault.  In most cases, there isn't any physical evidence and it's one person's word against another.  There's a lot of shame and guilt involved.  There shouldn't be, but that's the truth.  This also reminded me of the hypocritical, double standard a lot of people (ok....I'll apply this just to some of my extended family) have regarding sexual assault.  In Mr. Weinstein's case, my family would ask:  "Well, why did these women continue to work for him and be around him?"  And then in my case, they would say:  "Well, you need to forgive and be around him/us." (which means that I should be around the person who sexually abused me and be around the people who continue to disrespect my boundaries re: my brother.  Not only should I attend family functions, but I should WANT to attend).  My family really doesn't think thru the logic.

A new quote that I just LOVE:

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.” ― Rebecca West, British author.

No comments:

Post a Comment