November 10, 2017

Post #30 - IMPACT Personal Safety - Women's Basics Course

Post # 30 - November 10, 2017

This 6 week course (1 night a week for 3 1/2  hours/night) was freaking amazing.  With 12 unbelievable strong women and 7 instructors, it was so empowering.  I was nervous the 1st night...unsure what to expect and unsure of my ability to participate.  I just wasn't sure what kind of 'crap' this would bring up for me.  As it turns out, I went all in and kicked, hit and kneed the shit out of the padded suits (putting a knee in the groin was especially satisfying!).  What a powerful feeling.  I have no idea how many times I (we) said 'NO' in those 6  weeks,  but I'm fairly certain it was more times that I was able to say 'no' the 1st 35 years of my life.  That word is one of the most empowering words, especially for women.  Recently, I was thinking about the word 'No' and realized that just saying that word to a man (particular men) would cause that man to label that woman a feminist, which, of course, is a bad word in the religious right and conservative view.
I am so glad I took this course.   I highly recommend it for all women and especially for teenage girls before they graduate from high school.   Twenty-five percent of women in college are sexually harassed, raped or assaulted.  Staggering.  IMPACT has classes geared towards teenagers, men, LGBTQ, familys (with young children) and of course, women.  How different the US and the World would be if all girls were taught these skills (physical and verbal) at a young age.  I mourn the fact that I wasn't taught anything remotely close to this growing up.  And to a degree, I'm sad that Eleanor was never taught this as well.  This 'be obedient' shit gets handed down from generation to generation.  Thankfully, it only takes one generation to stop it.  With the #MeTOO campaign and women (and men) speaking up, this will change.  It has to STOP!






No comments:

Post a Comment